Sunday, August 10, 2008

This may be old news, but new to me..."Side-By-Side" advertising



I was watching Indy car racing Saturday, I'm not really a fan, but I enjoy watching from time to time. The race was on ESPN-HD. When it was time for a commercial they ran it in a split screen, the commercial was in a large box in the center of the screen and the race was in a small box to the left. Around the two "boxes" were a bunch of graphics and a news ticker across the bottom.

I think that is a great way to deal with commercial skipping on DVRs, and now as an added benefit a whole race can be somewhat uninterrupted.

I found an article from 2005 on the subject here.

My question is does that make the commercial air time more or less valuable? It's smaller, but there is "real" live content right next to it that may keep your finger off the 30 second skip button (if it was recorded), and keep you in your lazyboy instead of running to the kitchen or restroom to fill up, or empty.

No comments: